As we reflect on all our memories, it’s hard to recall ones that don’t include our families. There’s something special about looking back on family photos over the years gone by. Family photos are a moment saved in time, that inevitably will be cherished forever. So when it comes to what to wear for a family photoshoot, it’s good to plan in advance. After all, Family Photoshoots don’t happen every day, so it’s important to get your look right.
There are many aspects to consider when deciding what to wear for your family photos in Stockport. When coordinating outfits don’t get too caught up with trying to get everyone to match. If you can pick a couple of key focal colors and textured clothing items, this will be advantageous. It’s also important to consider the season. You want your photos to take on a timeless feel.
However, the most important part of your family photoshoot is to document the love that your family shares. You want the images to demonstrate and bring to life the bond that you share with those special to you.
Family Photo Outfit Ideas
Below are a few ideas of how to achieve that stylish look to your family photos.
- Plan your outfits in advance. The more time you allow yourself to plan your outfits, the less stressed you’ll be. In addition, the more comfortable you will feel on the day.
- Choose coordinating colours, not matching. It can be difficult deciding on colours of outfits for family photos. Colours that coordinate well are a good start. You can accomplish a cohesive look without every family member wearing the exact same outfit. By selecting a colour scheme and using hues that complement each other, you can achieve a more natural look across the board. Pick two main colours and then add softer tones to accent and complete your colour scheme.
- Another important factor to consider is your home decor. These images are going to be adorning your walls for many years, therefore clothing needs to complement the colour scheme in your house.
- Location, location, location. Are you going somewhere with lots of autumnal foliage, or somewhere like a beach where the tones are more neutral? Select a colour palette for your outfits that will complement the setting. The colours you choose need to complement your background, rather than compete with it.
- Consider the season in which your photoshoot is taking place. Each season is associated with different colours, weather and landscapes, therefore think about the types of colours that will complement these.
- Practical outfits are essential, particularly for children. If your kids are not comfortable then you’re photo shoot is going to take a lot longer. Don’t make it more difficult on yourself or your photographer to get the perfect shot.
- Accessories are a great way of adding style to your outfits and family photos. For example, if Mum is wearing a red woollen jumper, adding a red woollen scarf to your daughter’s outfit will tie in perfectly. These accessories will allow for a more cohesive feel.
- Avoid patterns, logos and strong prints. These rarely photograph well.
The season in which you have your family photos will impact on the outfit you wear for your family photos. Here are some ideas below on colours that work well for the varying seasons:
AUTUMN FAMILY PHOTO OUTFIT IDEAS
Autumn is such a popular season for family photos in Stockport. As the weather starts to cool down and the leaves change colour the scenery around us takes on a completely new look.
Colours that photograph well for Autumn Photo Shoots include:
- Maroon and Brown
- Denim and Tan
- Navy, Tan and Cream
- Denim, Red and Yellow
WINTER FAMILY PHOTO OUTFIT IDEAS
The colder winter weather encourages the incorporation of some great accessories in your family photos. Scarves, coats, hats…maybe even wellies!
Colours that photograph well for Winter Photo Shoots include:
- Navy and Red
- Denim/Navy and White
- Red, Tan and Denim
- Red, Grey and Black
SPRING FAMILY PHOTO OUTFIT IDEAS
Spring is another lovely time of year to have your family photos taken. Stockport and Cheshire are full of beautiful Spring locations and the colours are in full bloom. As the weather picks up, consider wearing lighter materials, cheerful hues and maybe even a dress or shorts!
Colours that photograph well for Spring Photo Shoots include:
- Blush and Teal
- Light blue, Tan and White
- Navy, Yellow and White
- Blush and White
SUMMER FAMILY PHOTO OUTFIT IDEAS
When the sun is out, you can’t help but feel at your best! Summer family photo-shoots are all about that casual-summer-vibe! Therefore dress accordingly! For instance, wear light cottons, gingham patterns for the kids and summer dresses! Sandals also look great!
Colours that photograph well for Summer Photo Shoots include:
- Tan and White
- Orange and Teal
- Light Blue, Tan and White
- Blue, Green and Yellow
- Denim and White
To conclude, when picking an outfit for your family photoshoot the most important thing to remember is that these photos are forever. Select outfits that will make ‘timeless’ portraits. Styles come and go, but you don’t want these family photos to date on your walls….so try to keep it as simplistic as possible.
Boohk your Family Session and capture some incredible memories!